Monday, January 13, 2020

My first book tour!

It goes without saying that I will do my first book tour in Mistissini. I am very excited. I am awaiting confirmation on the dates and then I will make an official event on Facebook! I am so excited. The book is a sensitive topic for sure but I know that now is the time to start talking about our history and to teach our young ones about OUR past. In schools, we learn about the white man's version of the past but from now, we tell our own tales, recount our own experiences, and it is finally time to listen to our people. Our elders are leaving this earth one by one and their stories will leave with them if left untold. Let us never forget what they fought so hard for. Let us never forget their hard work as they held on to our culture and language. As a storyteller, I vow to listen and to speak for them as they journey on to the spirit world. Our children will know the battles our elders and ancestors faced. I am proud of my ancestors. I wish that they could have had a hero to protect them, but as it turns out, they became our heroes.

Meegwetch

Nii nikii

No comments:

Post a Comment